addthis

Bookmark and Share

5/6/08

Waldorf Is On The Mend


I'll just come right out and say it, I have a thing for turtles. It's something my adult self has only come to realize since coming to work at the Aquarium.

(My child self always knew. It used to dress up like Michaelangelo--the one with the nun chucks.)

However, it's animals like Waldorf that bring out this love of turtles. I mean look at him! That photograph is heartbreaking--but no tears, that was his intake photo, the turtle docs have him up and running again like new.

Waldorf is one of many turtles that have been rescued by the Aquarium's marine animal rescue program. All winter long, New England residents find cold-stunned turtles stranded on the beaches and report them to the rescue program. Our resident Aquarium turtle doctor, Charlie Innis, is the point person for patients like this. Turtles are rushed back to the Aquarium and warmed up in the marine animal medical center (think ER with flippers).

Waldorf came in at 48.4 degrees Fahrenheit, and Dr. Innis tells me he gets worried when turtles are down to a 65 degree temperature. So he was in pretty bad shape. But now he's eating regularly.

My turtle obsession is showing because I've already written here about a rescued green sea turtle named Quiddick. But, like I said, I'm obsessed.

Plus, Kemps ridley sea turtles are extremely endangered. Every little guy that gets back in the water is a huge step forward in saving these (totally tubular) animals.

No comments: