The Globe has a great story out today to help Bostonians escape painful slips on the ice. Penguin biologist Heather Urquhart comments on penguins walking on ice. Apparently they're still prone to fall despite having toe nails on their flippers. However, falls are less dangerous for penguins:
"They're covered with feathers and a layer of blubber, so it's a little harder for them to break a bone," she said. So, "they kind of bounce a bit."
Here's the
accompanying graphic, follow the link for the full animated arm flapping effect!

2 comments:
What a great graphic! I'm definitely going to walk like a penguin from now on. Now that all the snow in the northwest has melted, it seems odd to walk on the flat sidewalk; like walking on land after being out in a boat for a while. The next time it snows, I'll be prepared... like the penguins!
Really paid off today!!
Kept the family from falling on te ice covered trails, unfortunately the car can't walk like a penguin cause it took over an hour to get out of the skating rink er I mean parking lot.
Post a Comment